Teach, Prepare, Inspire
Each year, more than half a million students, guided and encouraged by thousands of teachers nationwide, participate in the National History Day® competition. Students choose historical topics related to an annual theme. The students then conduct extensive primary and secondary research involving oral history interviews and visits to libraries, archives, museums and historic sites - both actual and on-line, After analyzing their sources and drawing conclusions about their topics' significance in history, students present their work in original papers, exhibits, performances and documentaries.
Students become immersed in history by becoming engaged in the exploration of the past. It is their chance to be the historian.
National History Day® also helps students develop the following attributes:
- critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- research and reading skills
- oral and written communication and presentation skills
- self-esteem and confidence
- a sense of responsibility for and involvement in the democratic process